In the State of Georgia, any person wishing to change his or her name may do so by presenting a Petition to the Court. The Court has the option to grant or to deny the petition. During a divorce action, the Wife has the opportunity to change her name back to her original name at no additional cost.

Often clients come to us for Name Change Petitions on behalf of children. It is often desirous to have the children’s name match their parents’ names. So it is typical to see Name Change Petitions seeking to hyphenate names, or just outright change names when a parent’s rights have been terminated or the missing parent has never legitimized the child.

Adult name changes are also very popular. Often as long as the person is not seeking to defraud or hide from persons, the Court is open to granting the name change requested.

If the Petition is not done correctly, the candidate can get tied up in a sea of red tape and the Petition is eventually denied. There are specific steps that need to be taken, and often it is best to seek the assistance of an experienced attorney. At The Edwards Law Group, we can ensure the process is done correctly the first time, every time.

Contact us to get started.